Search Our Blog Below

He Beats Me Up and Strips Me N*ked Everytime - Distraught Woman Tells Her Stories

A woman who can no longer take the ill treatment meted to her by her husband has sought for a way out.


A Makurdi Upper Area Court in Benue State has dissolved the eight-year-old marriage between Nelson Ebiem and Nneka over irreconcilable differences and unholy behaviour.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Nneka had dragged her husband to court over alleged cruelty, unholy behaviour, threats to life and refusal to collect refund of bride price.

Earlier, Nneka had told the court that both of them were incompatible.

The petitioner said that she married her estranged husband under the Native Laws and Customs of Arochukwu people of Abia State.

“I married Nelson in 2008 under the Native Laws and Customs of the Arochukwu people and the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

“I do not want to marry him again because he beats me a lot. He usually strips me naked.

“He beats me regularly and throws my things out of his house. He has the habit of insulting me publicly, threatens to kill me and disgrace me at will.

“Due to the threats to my life, I travel every month to the village to stay with my husband’s elder brother,” 
she told the court.




The petitioner prayed the court to dissolve the marriage on grounds of cruelty, unholy behaviour and threats to life.

In his response, Ebiem said that he was ready for the divorce.

He told the court that they had a mutual discussion on the matter.

Ebiem, however, said that it was against the custom and beliefs of the people of Arochukwu to accept refund of bride price outside the community.
The presiding officer, Ibrahim Mohammed, in his judgement, said that both parties agreed to dissolve the marriage.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Labels

Blog Archive

Stat